Click HERE for the event flyer.
Dear Labor Leaders:
Congresswoman Barbara Lee will be joined with House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, Congressman Raul Grijalva (AZ) and Congressman Jerry McNerney next Tuesday, August 16 at 5:30pm for a 'SPEAKOUT FOR GOOD JOBS NOW" townhall meeting at Acts Full Gospel Church of God in Christ located at 1034-66th Avenue, Oakland (between San Leandro Street & International Blvd.
FLASH: Congressman Mike Honda has just confirmed attendance. Due to redistricting, a new congressional district will be created in south county to include Newark and part of Fremont. This will be 1/3 in Alameda County and 2/3 in Santa Clara county. Honda plans to run for this newly created district and has been a very strong advocate and supporter of labor's agenda...
We want to have a strong showing of support for Congresswoman Barbara Lee's speakout, because it gives us the opportunity to have workers voices heard, especially those who are currently working, unemployed, furloughed, laid off and underemployed. Barbara has been a national leader in the debate on the debt ceiling. She has been a strong voice in opposition to the FAA shutdown and continues to advocate against the threatened immigration audit against GMP members at Pacific Steel foundry in Berkeley.
We're also in touch with our State Federation to see if it makes sense to have a flyer on the FAA reauthorization since we know that fight isn't over yet as the republican leadership wants to trade reauthorization for taking away organizing rights.
We have been lining up some workers to speak out at the townhall. Speakers should be present at 5pm and check in with Jean. Some speakers so far have included; confirmed*
1. Locked out Castlewood worker: Francisca Carranza UH 2850*
2. Port trucker: Eddie Hernandez CCSP*
3. Former NUMMI worker: Debbie
4. Gillig Plant: IBT member (Doug)
5. Port airport tower: IBEW 595 (Victor)
6. Urban Peace Movement: Youth (Nicole)
7. Lifetime Client/single mom: Diana Spatz (Saundra)
8. Cypress Mandela Training Program: Graduate* (Liz)
9. IUPAT DC 16: Painter (Liz)
10. Anyone else?
1. Attend this speak out with 2 from your local. If you can't come, please send at least 3 representatives. This is an opportunity where our members will hear other workers' stories, be inspired and motivated to become active and help build and strengthen our labor movement.
2. If you have a member who can speak out, let Jean know asap. She is coordinating labor speakers from our end.
We will be following up with you.
Also, we have put in a request to meet with Congresswoman Barbara Lee for Revive Oakland which both the Alameda Labor Council and Building and Construction Trades are members. This will give us another opportunity to talk about the community jobs agreement with labor peace and card check neutrality.
Please distribute this message and flyer about Tuesday's Speakout to your members and friends.
Si Se Puede!
Alameda Labor Council
100 Hegenberger Rd., Suite 150
Oakland, CA 94621
510-632-4242 x231 office